Friday, May 24, 2013

Play House Makeover

This winter I came across a Little Tikes play house for $30 on Craigslist and I snatched it up!  I was inspired by the makeovers of different play houses on Pinterest and was excited to try one myself!  



The house was faded and missing a shutter in the back so a makeover was in order.  M instantly loved it and it was great having outside for her to play with!



I was a bad blogger and didn't take pictures of the painting process but I can tell you that it was relatively easy but that I used a lot more spray paint than I originally thought.  I used spray paint specific to plastic and outdoors, which is key.  I tried and tried to get the shutters and door off but couldn't.  I started by spraying the shutters and door with several coats (3-4) and then letting it dry overnight.

The next day I used wrapping paper and painters tape to cover the shutters and the door.  The roof comes off so that was easy to do.  Once the everything was covered I sprayed the body of the house, which took several coats to cover the over spray from the black and red.



Even though I spent close to $60 in spray paint I would definitely do it again.  I love that it blends into the yard better and looks so much better than the faded house it started out as.  

Have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend!

7 comments

  1. That looks sooo good! Some of those play houses are really an eyesore. Way to be an awesome mom and have a stylish play house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, TOTALLY doing this! I adore your color choices, too. M is so adorable, totally winning my heart. You wouldn't mind if Q has a replica of M's playhouse here in Colorado?? =]

    And doing it all for under $100 is WAY more affordable & so much better looking than the playhouses I've seen out there during my research!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Came over from Better After.... your house is fabulous! Wish I had been that creative 10 years ago when MY kids had one of those atrocities!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm curious how this has held up? Do you remember the brand of paint? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has scratched a bit on the areas that get wear like the door area that gets stepped over and a bit on the shutters where my daughter opens and closes them. I don't remember the brand but it was the plastic outdoor spray paint at Home Depot. I think there might only be one brand.

      Delete

previous next